Framing the unframed

 "Frames typically serve to contain an image, marking it off from its background in order to make it more visible" (Lupton, Graphic Design).

I explored framing in different mediums this week -- seeing how the book mentioned framing can serve to contain an image was something interesting I wanted to experiment with. I began experimenting in my sketchbook with earth-toned acrylic paint layered with a white gel pen and a black brush pen. This is when I tried to frame each doodle in a different color with a strong contrasting abstract background. This plays with the hierarchy of layering these abstract shapes of color and having these illustrations pop on each individual one. It added depth of layering without the shading -- the color framing and hierarchy did the work for me. 

I found I desired to take this from my sketchbook and to digitize it and so I did.


Below is a digitized variation from my sketchbook -- I tried to stay in the warm color family for my background and color blocking to create harmony between the background, middle ground, and foreground. I created this on my iPad using the app Procreate. 

Each abstract shape was colored in with a 6B pencil to add texture as opposed to simply filling the shapes with flat colors. After I established all their shapes and color blocking; I loved how the reading helped me apply a hierarchy to these 2-D shapes by layering them and then adding illustrations of contrasting colors.

For the illustration, I used an ink bleed pen to play on the texture as if these abstract shapes were a rough surface I was drawing on. I did not desire for the illustrations to look extremely straight and neat like it was created on a smooth surface. However, I did want it to have a repetition of shapes and some unique motifs to make each shape stand out more.

The navy blue illustration really makes the mustard shape appear to be beneath the brown and orange shapes. Similar for the brown shape, the white illustration is underneath the orange shape. Finally, the orange shape is above them all and it is the only shape that reveals its entire illustration in black. 

All these illustrations are framed by their background colors and shapes. And the illustrations help add to the hierarchy of layering these shapes. I find the book really allowed me to use these two techniques hand in hand to create my art "Framing the unframed."

Framing the unframed

As always, please check out my Instagram to support me as a creative putting myself out there! My art is linked to its respective post on Instagram.

Comments

  1. I love the prints you used in your drawings, these are so lovely. I would honestly make the second picture my wallpaper. As always excellent post and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I really love how you chose to go above and beyond and depict this weeks topic in two different medias. It is really something special and I am sure you are too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts