Explore my Week 4

 My university implements a trimester calendar system, so each of my three semesters has 10 weeks each. Currently, I am writing to you on the Friday of the 4th week of my fall semester.

I created "4 Rep" digitally on my iPad on the app Procreate. I used a 6B drawing pencil to get a texture and grainy appearance for each of the abstract shapes in my artwork. I've linked this artwork to its respective post on Instagram.


4 Rep 

I created "4 Rep" to represent how the 4th week of the Fall term is going for me. The color palette I chose was thoughtfully selected to convey and represent the emotions I experienced this week. The layering between the background, middle ground, and foreground colors are to represent the depth of experiences I've had this week and how they're interacting. The various hues and shades of color I chose are meant to create harmony and disturbance because "our perception of color depends not solely on the pigmentation of physical surfaces, but also on the brightness and character of ambient light." (Lupton)

The pale, warm pink background represents me at equilibrium going about my life normally. The first color in the middle-ground I'd like to draw your attention to is the pale brown, which is harmonious with the pink because it's a very pale color -- that represents most of my academia and how it required some of my mental capacity. I was happy with that and I enjoyed the schoolwork of the week. The warm orange represents my time with family which is why it is a saturated warm tone. The orange is occupying some of the pink's background a bit -- that's when I had brunch with my family and watched Zootopia with them. The orange and brown have very soft, abstract shapes that occupy space in my life harmoniously. The foreground is a neon yellow which is a visual disturbance to the warm background and middle-ground. The neon yellow represents an exam I took this week, but you know, life goes on. The reason I didn't create the shape of this neon yellow representation angularly is that I wanted this disturbance to still have harmony in shape with the rest of my week's occurrences. This event did occupy a lot of my mental capacity, which is why it is occupying so much of the pink; however, the disturbance still fits in somewhat.

I like to think of "4 Rep" to be a small snapshot of this one week of my life out of a much larger illustration of my life similar to this which continues to build and represent the emotions I feel throughout my days. 

Quote from "Graphic Design" by Ellen Lupton.


Comments

  1. I really love how you tied color to your emotions. I'm sorry to hear 4th week has been mentally draining. I think the way you portrayed the was very thoughtful and unique. The colors and shapes really do pop, and I think your work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a heartfelt and well thought out approach of this weeks theme. i know these ten weeks can be gruesome. Keep pushing through, you got this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts